Sunday, March 22, 2009

Starting Intermittent Fasting

Ever since reading the posts made by Michael Eades M.D. on his blog, about Intermittent Fasting, I've been curious to give it a run (link 1, link 2). I decided to start it this weekend, and I'm currently on day 2.

On Friday I ate my regular diet (which is crap, by the way), but made sure not to eat about 2-3 hours before bedtime. On Saturday I did not eat anything until 6pm and only drank water throuthout the day. I had dinner at a friend's house and I ate a simple salad followed by a rather delicious and huge steak, and some lemon-flavored desserts.

According to the basic description of the diet, I should have then eaten a regular diet up until 6pm Sunday night, but I let myself sleep late and missed the breakfast period. For lunch I had two big bowls of a nice chili, to which I added green peppers, spring onions and a little ground flax seed. After 6pm, I will fast until 6pm Monday. Rinse and repeat.

Since I am still eating everyday, I will continue taking fish oil and all my regular supplements, but during the fasting periods I am supplementing with glutamine and BCAAs, to help preserve muscle mass. Since the caloric content of these supplements is so low, it's not an issue.

I am not planning any reduction of training frequency or load during this experiment, and I'm actually going to be increasing my total volume by going back to Krav Maga next weekend. Now, I only plan on adding at most two days of Krav back into my schedule as my right great toe is still being nursed. I'll be taping it for Krav training and will try to wear stiff-soled shoes in addition to taping.

No comments: