Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Creatine Monohydrate Supplementation May Boost DHT Levels

On pudmed.org there is a new study released showing that supplementing with creatine monohydrate may increase serum DHT levels and increase the DHT to T ratio.

Essentially, the rugby players mentioned in the study loaded with 25g of creatine (along with 25g of glucose, which helps with creatine digestion and uptake) each day for 7 days, then decreased the amount to 5g of creatine with 25g of glucose per day for two more weeks. Serum DHT and T levels were taken at baseline, 7 days, and 21 days and there was a significant increase in DHT (56% at 7 days, 40% at 21). The ratio of DHT to T also increased, 36% at baseline and 22% at day 21.

I have another blood test slated for the last half of November so I'll talk to my doctor about creatine then. Since my DHT was a sliver low on my last blood tests, creatine may be a good solution, seeing as I have a good-sized tub of creatine in my supplement cabinet.

Of course, I'm not a college age rugby player so the results may not be the same for me but any boost that comes from it could be a good thing.

No comments: