Sunday, September 27, 2009

Rambling, rambling, rambling

Haven't updated in a long time, obviously. I'm going to try and correct that and keep updating regularly.

Kettlebell training has been going well, but I am still not performing at a level that I should be. Maybe poor nutrition, maybe insufficient rest, but more likely overall stress levels and the ongoing issues with testosterone and all that. I've been working with a doc to get everything figured out, however I am still not happy with my overall progress.

I'm trying to be patient, which is a difficult thing for me to do. My doc just increased my T dosage a little bit, so I'm hoping that things will smooth out a little. My estradiol still seems a bit high, higher than what a guy my age, with my T levels, should have according to some things I've read.

As far as nutrition goes, I'm still *mostly* following the vegetarian diet I mentioned in previous posts, though I have slipped a little. Even with messing up some, I've still lost more weight and at the latest weighing (late last week) I weighed 208, down from my original of 220-222.

I truly need to buckle down and clean up the eating, which is not easy given the difficulty of doing so when family members and friends eat terribly, along with my love/hate relationship with fast food. The stuff is truly garbage and I hate the way it draws me in. Damn our genetic weaknesses towards high fat, sodium, and sweetness!

As for my kettlebell training, I've been doing Turkish Getups and swings almost exclusively for several months and have benefited greatly. Only a few alternative lifts otherwise, mostly just to break the monotony.

Last week I decided to try a kettlebell snatch test, trying to see how long it would take me to get 100 snatches done with a 16kg bell. It took me approximately 6 minutes, 45 seconds. My form wasn't perfect but it's getting there.

Overall, I was rather surprised that I knocked it all out, though I did get some cramping in my right hand and my calluses were catching. What got me was the terrible muscle soreness I experienced several days later. That was the worst case of DOMS I'd ever felt in anything other than calves, but I can admit that setting that time was well worth the pain.

More later, as it's getting late and I'm trying to train myself to get to sleep at a reasonable hour.

No comments: