Friday, November 27, 2009

Strained Adductor!

On Monday, I decided to go ahead and give one of Mike Mahler's kettlebell programs a try, and it freaking owns! Except that, somehow, during the last few sets of renegade rows, I managed to strain my left adductor. It freaking hurts.

I think it happened because I wasn't tucking my hips in and really focusing on overall body tension.

Tonigh I tried the same plan and I discovered several things: One, and I should know this already, is that Tension Is Strength - I went from using the 16kg bells on Monday to using the 24kg bells today and only got 2 fewer reps, which is fine with me; Two, is that my adductor was still more sore than I thought and it started to hurt again, which forced me to stop using that leg. Just about any movement causes it to really smart and it became too distracting.

Several lessons learned. I will nurse the adductor back to health and get back into hard training. I'm really looking forward to the heavy program that Mike laid out. Check out Mike's original post here.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Whoa

I've been so busy the past few weeks that I've forgotten to blog!

Training for my Microsoft certifications has been taking up a lot of time, but it's paid off. I passed the first exam, for Windows XP Professional, and have more tools in my toolbox and a new entry for the resume.

Tonight's kettlebell training was:
  • 6:30 of getups with a 24kg bell. I tried to focus hard on keeping the tension up during this as I'd noticed that I was getting some leakage during the last few times I'd done it and even for the first few reps of today. After tightening up, nearly white-knuckled the handle of the bell, I saw instant stability, which felt great.
  • 10:00 of kettlebell swings, alternating the first few sets between two-handed swings with the 24kg and one-handed with a 16kg; last 5:00 I stuck with just the 24kg, still alternating between one and two-handed. Work to rest was 30 on/40 off. Tried to average 18 reps per work period, but didn't really count.